Services • Onsite Surgery
Cryotherapy is a freezing treatment used to remove abnormal cells from the cervix.
How It Works:
- Patient lies on her back and places legs in stirrups;
- Dr. Bhatia inserts a speculum into the vagina in the same way as the pelvic exam;
- Small cryo probes are inserted into the vagina until they firmly cover the abnormal areas of cervical tissue;
- Liquid nitrogen begins to flow through the cryo probes at a temperature of approximately -50 degrees Celsius;
- The liquid causes the metal cryo probes to freeze and destroy superficial abnormal cervical tissue;
- Freezing generally lasts three minutes followed by thawing and then repeating the protocol
Treatment for mildly abnormal pap smears.
All patients must have had:
- Pap smears with any abnormal result; and
- Completed Colposcopy for additional examination and the ensuing results
Patients may return to regular activities the next day.