Hysteroscopy is a procedure that enables Dr. Bhatia to look carefully at the uterine lining using a thin viewing instrument (a hysteroscope).
How It Works:
The hysteroscope is inserted through the vagina and cervix and the procedure is performed in the doctor’s office.
Hysteroscopy helps to:
- Identify the causes of abnormal bleeding. Dr. Bhatia can then pass heated instruments through the hysteroscope to stop the bleeding (Novasure Endometrial Ablation).
- Find the cause of bleeding after menopause.
- Determine the cause of infertility. Dr. Bhatia uses the test to examine the structure of the uterus and identify whether its structure or scar tissue is the reason for infertility.
- Examine the uterine openings to the fallopian tubes. Again, this determination will help in diagnosing the reason for infertility.
- Correct previously misplaced intrauterine devices (IUD).
- Diagnose and remove small polyps or fibroids.
- Place a contraceptive implant (Essure) into the opening of the fallopian tubes as a method of permanent contraception.
Available for all patients.
Patients commonly experience mild cramping and/or discharge for a day or two after the procedure. Dr. Bhatia does prescribe mild pain relievers on a case-to-case basis. Most patients resume normal activities on the day following the procedure.