Pregnancy is a beautiful journey filled with excitement and anticipation. One of the first steps on this journey is your initial visit to an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN). This visit is crucial as it sets the tone for your prenatal care and ensures both you and your baby are healthy.
Choosing the Right OBGYN
When it comes to choosing an OBGYN, location and comfort are key. You might find yourself searching for an “OBGYN near me” or specifically for a “San Antonio OBGYN“. It’s important to choose a San Antonio women’s clinic that is easily accessible and provides a comfortable environment. Neera Bhatia OBGYN offers a welcoming atmosphere and top-notch care. Many women feel more comfortable with a female OBGYN, and that’s perfectly okay. A female OBGYN can often relate to your experiences and concerns on a personal level. Dr. Neera Bhatia understands this preference and is proud to be to be able to fulfill this need for personal care.
Your First Appointment
Your first appointment when pregnant is a comprehensive one. It typically includes a pregnancy test to confirm your pregnancy, a general physical exam, and a detailed medical history review. You may also have your first ultrasound during this visit. This appointment is an excellent opportunity to ask any questions you may have about your pregnancy. From medical history to prenatal tests, we’ll cover it all to ensure you’re well-prepared for this exciting experience.
- Scheduling and Preparation: Before your first visit, it’s advisable to schedule an appointment with an OBGYN as soon as you confirm your pregnancy. Early prenatal care is vital for a healthy pregnancy. Gather all necessary documents, including your medical history, previous test results, and any relevant information about your menstrual cycle and contraception methods.
- Medical History and Physical Examination: During your initial visit, your OBGYN will review your medical history in detail. They will inquire about previous pregnancies, surgeries, chronic illnesses, medications, allergies, and any genetic conditions that may run in your family. Expect questions about your lifestyle, diet, exercise routine, and substance use. A physical examination may be conducted to assess your overall health, including height, weight, blood pressure, and pelvic examination.
- Prenatal Testing: To ensure the well-being of both you and your baby, your OBGYN will recommend a series of prenatal tests. These tests may include blood work, urine analysis, and screenings for genetic disorders.
- Establishing the Due Date: One of the primary objectives of your first visit is to establish your estimated due date. Your OBGYN will use several methods to determine this, such as the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP), the size of your uterus, and possibly an early ultrasound. Having an estimated due date will guide your prenatal care schedule.
- Nutritional Guidance and Lifestyle Recommendations: Your OBGYN will provide valuable guidance on maintaining a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy. They will discuss appropriate nutrition, emphasize the importance of prenatal vitamins (including folic acid), and recommend any necessary dietary modifications. You may also receive advice on exercise, managing stress, and avoiding harmful substances like tobacco, alcohol, and certain medications.
- Discussion of Prenatal Care Schedule: Your OBGYN will outline the recommended prenatal care schedule for the duration of your pregnancy. This schedule will include the frequency of future visits, various tests and screenings, and the anticipated timeline for important milestones. This discussion will allow you to plan ahead and ensure you receive the appropriate care at each stage of your pregnancy.
- Addressing Questions and Concerns: The first visit is an excellent opportunity to address any questions, concerns, or fears you may have. Don’t hesitate to ask about pregnancy symptoms, common discomforts, warning signs, or any other topic that you find important. Building a strong relationship with your OBGYN from the beginning will foster trust and open communication throughout your pregnancy journey.
Why Choose Neera Bhatia OBGYN
Our team of health professionals is committed to being there for you through your pregnancy journey, ensuring you feel comfortable and informed every step of the way. Whether you’re trying to become a mom or are one, our San Antonio OBYGN services are designed to provide top-quality care for every stage of a woman’s life. To schedule an appointment online with Dr. Bhatia or contact our offices today at 210.222.2694.0